The Maharashtra government has banned single-use plastic items including carry bags, thermocol and disposable cutlery from today. The violation will attract penalty ranging from Rs 5,000- Rs 25,000.
Here are list of items you can’t use from Today
- All kinds of plastic bags (with and without handle), garbage bags
- All one-time use disposable items made up of plastic and thermocol, such as cutlery, plates and bowls.
- Plastic sheets to wrap or store products and plastic pouches to store liquid.
- Non-woven polypropylene bags (a cross between paper and cloth bag)
- Disposable plastic containers used for takeaway
- PET bottles (containing soft drinks, mineral water etc) and with a carrying capacity of less than 500 ml
Here are list of items you continue using
- Plastic cover/plastic material used at the manufacturing stage
- Plastic used for medicines, solid waste management and agricultural products
- Compostable plastic material used for nurseries, horticulture and agriculture
- Milk bags and plastic bottles used in packaged water industry. Milk bags and bottles will have to be recycled by collecting them back. Or else, customers have to pay a nominal recycling fee to shopkeeper